Friday, June 30, 2006

Two deal breakers

I had a date this evening with one of the men from last Saturday - the stranger I danced in the garden with. He called me on Monday, I ran into him on Tuesday. He asked me out.

He has no car and he was making me dinner at his house. I drove to his neighbourhood, and then I drove around for 10 minutes looking for parking. I was late so I was also extremely aggravated by lack of parking and having a lot of blame towards him. In my mind I had already castrated him and I was making him very wrong.

I got to his place and he was wearing all black and looking good. He began cooking the halibut and then he showed me a tour of his apartment.

He is an engineer by trade, he has a business of building websites and he plays the piano. So he has this very organized apartment with lots of well constructed items. He rents his apartment, and it is not in good shape. However, he has added dim lighting, a good speaker system with the speakers attached to the wall, he has two computers with these arms which attach the wall, a beautiful antique Spanish bench, a gorgeous mirror from his Grandma and a beautiful painting from his mother. He has done a lot of work on the place and it was great to see this producing results in his living enviroment. He also has a great view of the ocean, park and mountains.

He also had a phenomal music collection. I had a lot of fun learning from him about music. He would always say three adjectives to describe a style: ambient-electronic-hip-hop, celtic-jazz-ambient, electronic-pop-grit.

I had been there for 10 minutes and he had offered me nothing to drink. So I asked him if he had anything to drink. Simple question which forwards the action of the evening.

Guess what. He had nothing to drink.

I am not joking. He had tap water with ice - I opted out of the ice. I love tap water and I always want water. So that was great. But, not having wine was a deal breaker.

We ate on the roof and watched the sunset... it was gorgeous. But, there was no wine. I totally got this evening how critical wine is to complete a meal... and a date.

Plus, there was nothing keeping me there or giving me a recharge to continue the evening. I opted out of the rest of the evening he had planned which was to go Latin dancing. Great idea. But, I did not want to drive and I wanted to drink wine. He then asked me to go walking along the beach. I lied and said I only had my heels and this would not work - then I doubled checked that my flip-flops were deeply hidden in my bag.

Two deal breakers - no car and no wine.


live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. choose with no regret. laugh. do what you love.

0 Your Words:

Post a Comment

<< Home